Subject: bug#55983: closed (Re: bug#55983: 29.0.50; If xref-goto-xref pops up a frame, it doesn't set its input focus)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 00:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#55983: 29.0.50; If xref-goto-xref pops up a frame, it doesn't set its input focus

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55983: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55983
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55983: 29.0.50; If xref-goto-xref pops up a frame, it doesn't set its input focus
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 03:48:10 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 19.06.2022 16:37, miha--- via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss 
army knife of text editors wrote:
> Please see the attached patch. The only thing it adds is setting frame
> input focus if necessary before calling `select-window'. Other behaviour
> should remain the same as before. (The code and the comment is lifted
> from the function `pop-to-buffer'.)

Makes sense. Pushed to master, thanks!

Subject: 29.0.50; If xref-goto-xref pops up a frame, it doesn't set its input focus
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:17:49 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

To reproduce, customize pop-up-frames to non-nil and set up your window
manager such that it doesn't automatically set input focus on newly
created frames.

Now in an xref-mode buffer, press RET on a search result
(xref-goto-xref) and notice that the newly created frame doesn't receive
input focus. That is because xref-goto-xref uses `display-buffer',
followed by a `select-window'.

To contrast this behaviour with grep-mode, pressing RET in a grep-mode
buffer (compile-goto-error) does set input focus to the newly created
frame. That is because compile-goto-error uses `pop-to-buffer`, which
also calls `select-frame-set-input-focus'.

Best regards.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.17.6)
 of 2022-06-14 built on miha-pc
Repository revision: 175bc8e5a53740432c844b5aae1981d4f47c96f7
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --without-libsystemd'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11
XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 44772 6206)
 (symbols 48 5717 0)
 (strings 32 15673 1842)
 (string-bytes 1 515461)
 (vectors 16 11098)
 (vector-slots 8 161431 8182)
 (floats 8 20 54)
 (intervals 56 340 1)
 (buffers 992 11))