Subject: Re: bug#5595: Commenting in F90

From: Angelo Graziosi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 01:33:29 +0100

Il 19/02/2010 19.01, Glenn Morris ha scritto:
> Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>
>> It is not clear why this happens only with F90 mode. Repeating with
>> foo.cpp' (C/C++ mode and '!' -->  '//') or with 'foo.f' (Fortran mode,
>> !' -->  'C'), C-M-j sets the comment character correctly indended (to
>> me!), under the previous and not shifted...
>
> But 'C' comments in Fortran mode get zero indentation, so how can one
> tell if this functin is indenting the first line or not?
>
> Like I said, I don't really understand what this function is supposed
> to do, nor which variables modes should set to make it work correctly.
>
> Perhaps the maintainer of newcomment.el can help us out...

...or, perhaps, the indentation should regard only the cursor, not the 
character! For example, editing bash script, the following happens (with 
the cursor, X, at the end of last line):

## [...]
## [...]
##    foo text...X  <== last line

Typing C-M-j produces

## [...]
## [...]
##    foo text...
##    X

with the cursor (X) under the 'f' of 'foo': the character '##' is 
vertically aligned.

Ciao,
Angelo.