Subject: bug#55940: macOS: <ns-show-prefs> displayed as keybinding for \\[customize]

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 14:01:40 +0200

Severity: minor

"<ns-show-prefs>" is displayed instead of "M-x customize" for the
docstring command substitution \\[customize] on macOS (current master
branch).  For example:

    calendar-date-style is a variable defined in ‘calendar.el’.
    [... snip ...]
    Setting this variable directly does not take effect (if the
    calendar package is already loaded).  Rather, use either
    <ns-show-prefs> or the function ‘calendar-set-date-style’.

I have no idea how to press the key "<ns-show-prefs>" - I don't think
there is such a button?  There is also the keybinding "s-," which is
slightly more useful (but not as useful as showing just "M-x
customize", IMHO.)

Please consider showing "s-," or "M-x customize" instead of
"<ns-show-prefs>" here.

Steps to reproduce:
0. emacs -Q
1. C-h v calendar-date-style RET

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0, NS
appkit-1561.61 Version 10.13.6 (Build 17G14042))
 of 2022-06-01 built on SK-MacBook-Pro
Repository revision: bb20d4f96d1cd309e569a801708987a8a5ebe9d8
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.13.6

Configured using:
 'configure --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  isearch-fold-quotes-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-edit pp cus-start
cus-load wid-edit xref project ring cl-print shortdoc
text-property-search cal-coptic cal-julian cal-move cal-x comp comp-cstr
warnings rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra holidays holiday-loaddefs solar
cal-dst cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs thingatpt help-fns radix-tree
help-mode seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs
cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic indonesian
philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face
macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 130492 8496)
 (symbols 48 9996 0)
 (strings 32 29658 2799)
 (string-bytes 1 937957)
 (vectors 16 20855)
 (vector-slots 8 399291 11781)
 (floats 8 378 57)
 (intervals 56 284 0)
 (buffers 992 13))