Subject: Re: bug#55936: dockerd fails to start on boot

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 12:20:46 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I've researched more on the topic, and it appears what I had on mind is
> rather systemd's socket *notification* (what they call 'sdNotify')
> rather than activation.  Activation is just to lazy start things... it
> probably wouldn't help here, rather it seems it'd be a bad idea, as
> realized elsewhere [0].
>
> [0]  https://github.com/containerd/containerd/issues/164#issuecomment-657536515

Currently the Shepherd implements activation as lazy start, but we
should add an option for “eager socket activation” where the daemon is
started right away.

Such activation is still useful as a synchronization mechanism: you can
tell the service is ready to serve requests as soon as the socket has
been created.

Thanks,
Ludo’.