Subject: Re: bug#55926: 29.0.50; message.el does not normalize In-Reply-To field from web links

From: Ignacio Casso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:17:15 +0200

> One way to check is to put a call to `message' in `message-mailto'
> just after the call to `interactive' to log exactly what's being sent
> to emacs.
>
> Something like
>
> (message "message-mailto received '%s'" url)
>
> and then take a look in "*Messages*"

I've advised `message-mailto' with a message as the one you suggested,
but it seems that function is not being called. What is being called is
`browse-url' -> `browse-url-mail' -> `compose-mail' -> `message-mail',
already defined in message.el. By that time some fields, like "from" and "to",
have already been extracted from the URL, but the In-Reply-To field is
still in the OTHER-HEADERS argument, pending to be parsed.

> I took a look at `message-mailto', and it pretty much just inserts
> what's been passwed to it, so I suspect itʼs an issue with the website
> reply button.

So yes, it probably just inserts what's been passed to it, and if it's
the reply button the one that should ensure that the In-Reply-To field
is normalized, then the bug is in that side. Still, maybe message.el
could ensure that it's normalized anyway just in case?

Regards,

Ignacio