Subject: Re: bug#55926: 29.0.50; message.el does not normalize In-Reply-To field from web links

From: Ignacio Casso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:02:49 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ignacio Casso <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> 1) configure Emacs to open mail links (I don't
>> remember the exact steps to do so now, but I can check it out),
>
> Yes, that would be helpful to allow reproducing the problem.

Sorry, I assumed that there was one standard way to do it and that many
of you would already use Emacs for mail. But now that I see it I may not
be doing it the usual way. My default mail client is still Thunderbird,
but I have configured Firefox to use Emacs to open mailto links. To do
so, I have set the default application for mailto, in Settings -> General
-> Applications, to the following script:

  #!/bin/bash

  # Choose this script as default application for opening mailto links
  # (e.g., in firefox)

  emacsclient -c -e "(progn
      (select-frame-set-input-focus (selected-frame))
      (let ((mu4e-compose-context-policy 'pick-first)) (browse-url \"$@\")))"

I have checked the url that is passed to that script for the example in
my bug report, and it's the following:

"mailto:[email-masked]?In-Reply-To=DB6PR0601MB208724FE4A1EB6D98A176F03C6A99%40DB6PR0601MB2087.eurprd06.prod.outlook.com&Subject=Re%3A%20%5BBUG%5D%20org-capture%20autoload%20bug%3F%20%5B9.5.2%20%289.5.2-gfbff08%20%40%20/home/ignacio/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5.2/%29%5D"

I have also checked the docstring of `browse-url', and it uses the
function specified by the variable `browse-url-mailto-function' to open
mailto links, whose default value, at leas in my Emacs, is
`browse-url-mail'.

So the bug, if it's indeed a bug, would be that `browse-url-mail' does
not normalize the In-Reply-To field by adding angle brackets around.

Regards,

Ignacio