Subject: bug#55925: 29.0.50; Error when command has interactive-form property

From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 13:54:10 +0300

This is a rehash of https://bugs.gnu.org/54802#79 as a new bug report.

This change:

  New generic function `oclosure-interactive-form`
  bffc4cb39d 2022-04-26 10:36:52 -0400
  https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=bffc4cb39d

Gave rise to the following error:

0. emacs -Q -f toggle-debug-on-error
1. (progn
     (defun my-foo (&rest _))
     (function-put 'my-foo 'interactive-form
                   (interactive-form #'ignore)))
2. C-x C-e
3. M-x C-i

Backtrace attached.

The interactive-form property is documented as (an admittedly unusual)
supported practice in several Info nodes:
- (elisp) Standard Properties
- (elisp) Defining Commands
- (elisp) Using Interactive
- (elisp) Interactive Call

What are the reasons for turning this into an error?
Are there alternative solutions?

Thanks,

-- 
Basil

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2022-06-12 built on tia
Repository revision: 98365c7b1e1e1d3d5f7185f2d4a2baa1c65b4540
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101003
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure CC=gcc-12 'CFLAGS=-Og -ggdb3' --config-cache --prefix
 /home/blc/.local --enable-checking=structs --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-x'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
help-fns radix-tree seq cl-print gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv debug backtrace help-mode find-func cl-loaddefs
cl-lib cus-start cus-load iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice simple cl-generic indonesian
philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs faces cus-face
macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 61814 7020)
 (symbols 48 7171 0)
 (strings 32 19713 2080)
 (string-bytes 1 593239)
 (vectors 16 12106)
 (vector-slots 8 171984 10915)
 (floats 8 28 27)
 (intervals 56 845 155)
 (buffers 992 12))