Subject: bug#55919: 29.0.50; package-menu-filter-by-archive fails to exclude nongnu when filtering for gnu

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 12:27:39 +0200

Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. Run emacs -Q
> 2. Type M-x list-packages
> 3. Type / a
> 4. Type gnu RET
> 5. Only packages from the "gnu" archive should appear, but "nongnu"
> entries remain

The doc string doesn't mention that the ARCHIVE argument here is a
regexp, and "gnu" matches "nongnu", too.

But does it make sense to use a regexp here?  I think that's pretty
surprising -- there aren't that many archives out there, and while a
regexp is more flexible (i.e., you can say \`gnu\|melpa to get both of
them), I don't think anybody would actually type anything like that.

I've added Stefan (who added this command) to the CCs; perhaps he has
comments.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no