Subject: bug#55915: 28.1; tab-bar align-right mis-aligns if tab-bar face size is changed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 15:29:40 -0400

how to reproduce:
        ;; change tab-bar face font-size to something bigger
	(set-face-attribute 'tab-bar nil :height 200)

        ;; configure tab-bar to right-align the clock
        (add-to-list 'tab-bar-format 'tab-bar-format-align-right t)
        (add-to-list 'tab-bar-format 'tab-bar-format-global t)
        (display-time-mode)

        ;; turn on the tab-bar
	(tab-bar-mode)

    Expectation:
        a tab-bar with a larger font-size,
        with the clock aligned at the right edge

    what actually happens:
        notice the final 2 or 3 chars of the clock (load ave)
        wrap around onto the next line. yuck!

    also:
        changing the font-size smaller (eg. 50) also
        mis-aligns, but in the other direction

    additionally:
        same behavior exists when built/running for x11 and apple-mac native

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 2, x86_64-unknown-netbsd9.1, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-06-04 built on athena.tcp4me.com
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description: NetBSD athena.tcp4me.com 9.1 NetBSD 9.1 (GENERIC) #0: Sun Oct 18 19:24:30 UTC 2020  [email-masked]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC amd64

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x --prefix=/usr/local --with-x-toolkit=no
 --without-gsettings LDFLAGS=-Wl,-R/usr/X11R7/lib
 --with-jpeg=ifavailable --with-gif=ifavailable --with-tiff=ifavailable'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GNUTLS HARFBUZZ LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE
OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG SOUND THREADS X11 XDBE XIM XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-ligature-mode: t
  ligature-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug sendmail ruby-mode log-edit
pcvs-util add-log vc go-mode edmacro kmacro find-file ffap etags
fileloop xref project compile time-stamp cperl-mode facemenu repeat
shortdoc help-fns radix-tree misearch multi-isearch sh-script smie
executable vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher org-element avl-tree generator
ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message rmc puny mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif dired
dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi ob-ruby
ob-calc calc-store calc-trail calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs
org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table oc-basic json map bibtex iso8601 time-date subr-x ol org-keys
oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs autorevert filenotify go-mode-autoloads
cl-extra help-mode rx cl-seq seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
minimap ligature easy-mmode gv mailcrypt rfc822 comint ansi-color ring
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs cl-loaddefs cl-lib
generic-x iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue lcms2
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 272458 30058)
 (symbols 48 26865 2)
 (strings 32 91479 4497)
 (string-bytes 1 2953446)
 (vectors 16 46637)
 (vector-slots 8 512030 32236)
 (floats 8 327 68)
 (intervals 56 2761 92)
 (buffers 992 27))