Subject: [bug#55903] [PATCH 25/41] gnu: Add go-github-com-protonmail-go-crypto-openpgp.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 15:40:30 +0200

( schreef op zo 12-06-2022 om 14:13 [+0100]:
> On Sun Jun 12, 2022 at 1:53 PM BST, Maxime Devos wrote:
> > we can refuse to package impacted packages until things improve.
> 
> I'm not sure boycotting packages is a good idea... If we did that, 

It doesn't have to boycotting.  E.g., the packager could talk with
upstream to look into upstreaming things, helping with preparing the
remaining changes for submitting upstream, submit them, etc.

> there'd be a _lot_ of useful Rust and Go packages that we'd be
> refusing to package.

FWIW, Rust doesn't seem to do forking much, if at all.  And the
multiple-version dependencies thing for a large part disappears with
antioxidant, and in my experience if you send some patches for updating
crates to make some changes for compatibility with newer versions etc.,
the maintainers seem agreeable (and often, albeit not always, the
patches are rather simple), and to a large degree (albeit not always)
upstream does the ‘update to new versions’ things by theirselves.

Also, maybe this would be a lot of Go packages.  But things aren't
going to fix theirselves by ignoring the problems.

Greetings,
Maxime.