Subject: bug#55898: jami service failing following 'guix deploy' update

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 17:38:13 -0400

retitle 55898 Services depending on new Shepherd features may fail until
a reboot
thanks

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> I'm suspecting that given the service makes use of Shepherd 0.9
> features, perhaps it fails loading and the error is reported erroneously
> that way... a reboot would tell but I'm not in a position to do that at
> this moment (remote machine).

I confirm that following a reboot, the service runs normally.

Perhaps services should allow specifying the minimum required Shepherd
version, which Shepherd could ensure is met before attempting to restart
a service, printing something like:

'Could not restart service X due to unmet Shepherd version requirement;
the service will continue unchanged until the next reboot'

or something similar.

I've re-titled the bug, as this isn't specific to our jami service.

Thanks!

Maxim