Subject: bug#55898: jami service failing following 'guix deploy' update

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 13:52:07 -0400

retitle 55898 jami service fails to start following reconfigure
thanks

Hello,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Maxime,
>
> Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Maxim Cournoyer schreef op za 11-06-2022 om 01:53 [-0400]:
>>> I don't get it; how can the service runs fine in the instrumented VMs
>>> the system tests use, and fail in my updated machine?  Could it be a
>>> fault in 'guix deploy'?
>>
>> Maybe the shepherd has the old (gnu build jami-service) module loaded
>> and it doesn't know know to reload modules during reconfiguration?

The module seems to be simply missing, according to:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix gc -R /gnu/store/sq7krjjpwbkr3z573flbnvkml1574mn5-system | grep jami
/gnu/store/vkgamffkm92l3xdzid42k4lcz6aqfj7i-ffmpeg-jami-4.4.2
/gnu/store/kk3dzx2xsa135d1i5jsjm8i787gbl56i-pjproject-jami-2.11-0.e1f389d
/gnu/store/fyd7rmvzhhqbk1f08c4pl7ahhlfgig40-shepherd-jami.scm
/gnu/store/kqiqnza4l0jawrs0mszymj8diaa2j97m-shepherd-file-system--home-jenkins-jami.scm
/gnu/store/yp9awyfgiym32card9w5mds8id6d6d0l-shepherd-file-system--home-jenkins-jami-workspace.scm
/gnu/store/xib9gc60a8bbff99cffh2x74gqpszf0i-shepherd-jami-dbus-session.scm
/gnu/store/q00v0f7syc1b6phfq4gih8i9irnm862w-dbus-for-jami-1.12.20
/gnu/store/dqfply51lzqc5z697k98avigsv21qm8q-libjami-20211223.2.37be4c3
/gnu/store/5w1zqbwagkhavqs7xjbzb8m7j978dcwj-shepherd-file-system--var-cache-jami.scm
/gnu/store/njrxi4apky4ckb2py9qz0ciz0b92smrd-shepherd-jami.go
/gnu/store/kciz8nady3rc5jd9j67bmlzyn622j5md-shepherd-file-system--home-jenkins-jami.go
/gnu/store/ddxa8yxqh1c3h6iax2x24wj0lfxrx8c6-shepherd-file-system--home-jenkins-jami-workspace.go
/gnu/store/d54hhmd90h7q4qmnb3q6ngsdp9457r80-shepherd-jami-dbus-session.go
/gnu/store/59lizyj4miag5if9ylhk383qr1qbxw1h-shepherd-file-system--var-cache-jami.go
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

After a 'guix system reconfigure' that successfully changed
/run/current-system.

I was expecting the module should have been pulled in the closure via
the encapsulating:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    (with-extensions (list guile-packrat ;used by guile-ac-d-bus
                           guile-ac-d-bus
                           ;; Fibers is needed to provide the non-blocking
                           ;; variant of the 'sleep' procedure.
                           guile-fibers)
      (with-imported-modules (source-module-closure
                              '((gnu build dbus-service)
                                (gnu build jami-service)
                                (gnu build shepherd)
                                (gnu system file-systems)))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

in (gnu services telephony) around line 312.

Thoughts?

Maxim