Subject: Re: [bug#55891] [PATCH] gnu: Add iec16022

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 01:48:58 +0200

On 01-07-2022 08:58, Remco van 't Veer wrote:

> Is there anything else I can do to keep this ticket moving?  Bug about
> unchecked IO is reported and discussion about unchecked malloc has
> stalled.

You could search for an alternative solution that is acceptable to 
upstream, or if upstream completely refuses bugfixes, add some patch to 
the Guix package definition.  Also, I have not yet seen a v2 for 
resolving the other (non-upstream-code) issues I noted.

Another method would be to help out with reviewing and fixing things 
(with other packages), this frees up time and is seen as a good act, 
hence making other people more inclined to help out with any remaining 
issues in your patches (including fixing issues such as those of the 
kind I have mentioned before, but also actually applying the patch and 
committing it).

You could also perform _all_ the checks in (guix)Submitting Patches 
(e.g., the bundling check, actually building it for other systems as 
well with QEMU, reproducibility check).

> Also note, this package is also being shipped by debian, archlinux,
> fedora, and others.  Not that it matters but just to point out it's a
> widely spread utility.

I am not convinced by your implied method of persuasion by social 
pressure / argumentum ad populum. If it doesn't matter, why use it as an 
argument?

Greetings,
Maxime.