Subject: bug#55877: 29.0.50; list-directory doesn't allow globbing interactively

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 22:07:31 +0200

chad <[email-masked]> writes:

> From emacs -Q, call list-directory ('C-x C-d'), and specify a glob
> pattern, such as "/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/*.el". Emacs will accept
> this as the argument when called from lisp (following the behavior
> described in the docstring), but will not accept it interactively. This
> is due to passing t as the fourth (MUSTMATCH) argument to read-file-name
> inside list-directory. I believe that this should instead be 'confirm.

The code (introduced in ec3b6fa8e18a) tries to require that the user has
either typed an existing directory, or that it's a wildcard spec.  But
it does this in the wrong way -- and it does this misguided thing wrong,
anyway.  :-/

I'll try to fix it some other way.  Just changing the t to confirm
doesn't really help, because then you can type in non-existing
directories.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no