Subject: Re: [bug#55874] [PATCH] Add timewarrior 1.4.3

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 16:54:15 +0200

Zac Berkowitz schreef op vr 10-06-2022 om 10:04 [-0400]:
> The python scripts in ext/ are completely optional according to the
> README in that same directory.  Like taskwarrior, timewarrior can
> execute python scripts as hooks in response to various commands, but
> they're not necessary for base use.
> Maybe this is why debian adds the python requirement?  So hooks just
> work out of the box?  How does guix deal with optional dependencies
> like this?
> 

If it increases the closure size a lot and does not provide much extra
functionality, the extra dependency (and the components that require
that dependency) is removed.  (Alternatively the ext/ scripts can be
changed to use the 'python' in $PATH instead of a baked-in 'python',
though such things are avoided where feasible for robustness).

Even if they are optional, adding python might be required such that
the _correct_ python is used when cross-compiling.  As a test, you
could try running "guix gc --references" on the timewarrior store item
-- if the output contains python, the ext/... is installed with python.

Probably most people would have python anyway, so I don't think it has
to be removed.

Looking at the output of "guix gc --references", it does indeed use
python from somewhere.

Greetings,
Maxime.