Subject: Re: bug#55871: Acknowledgement (27.1; vc-git.el log view 'a', 'f', 'd' do not work when following renames)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:05:04 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:01:59 +0200
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> 
> On 14/12/2023 03:23, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> > On 14/12/2023 02:52, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> >> but otherwise seems to function well (with potential for future 
> >> additions)
> > 
> > To clarify: this version only makes 'd' work (not 'f' or 'a'), but the 
> > other two are fixed more easily.
> 
> Attached is the new revision with combined fix.

FYI: 'd' and 'f' work with bzr without any changes.  'a' doesn't work
(evidently, "bzr annotate -r REVISION FILE" doesn't work when FILE did
not exist in REVISION, but was renamed by a later revision, and one
needs to run "bzr status -Sr REVISION" and look for the "renamed"
report in the result, which will then provide the previous name).

(FTR: I used src/unexcoff.c file to test this.)

> +*** Support for viewing file change history across renames.
> +When a fileset's VC change history ends at a rename, we now print the
> +old name(s) and a button which jumps to their history.  Only supported
> +with Git at the moment.

I think this should at least tell that for files under Bazaar, the VC
change history will always include the renames.  Looks like Mercurial
is in the same department as Git?  If so, I think the text should say
that this is not supported for Mercurial yet, and that Bazaar shows
the entire history, including renames, by default.  Or something like
that.

I also think this entry should mention the relevant VC commands
("C-x v l" and what else?), since otherwise "VC change history"
is not concrete enough to tell users which command(s) is/are affected.

Thanks.