Subject: 27.1; vc-git.el log view 'a', 'f', 'd' do not work when following renames

From: Nicolás Ojeda Bär <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 11:54:44 +0200

When pressing 'C-x v l' in a git versioned file that has been renamed,
it is possible to get a full history (ie including renames) by setting
'vc-git-print-log-follow' to t.

However, if doing this, the functions

- 'd' (log-view-diff)
- 'f' (log-view-find-revision)
- 'a' (log-view-annotate-revision)

stop working with revisions "before" the rename. There is a previous
discussion of this problem in

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8756

but the discussion ends by suggesting to open a new bug report about
this issue, which I am doing here.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2020-08-21 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: 86d8d76aa36037184db0b2897c434cdaab1a9ae8
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.22000
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.22000.708)

Recent messages:
process
Mark saved where search started
Saving file c:/cygwin64/home/nojebar/mlfi/applications/scheduler/main.mf...
Mark set
Wrote c:/cygwin64/home/nojebar/mlfi/applications/scheduler/main.mf
Wrote c:/cygwin64/home/nojebar/mlfi/applications/scheduler/main.mf (3
pending errors, use C-c C-x to jump)
Mark saved where search started [3 times]
Mark set
Mark saved where search started [13 times]
Quit [2 times]
Quit
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: caml

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  merlin-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
c:/cygwin64/home/nojebar/mlfi/mlfi-ins/share/emacs/site-lisp/ocp-indent
hides ~/scripts/install/emacs/ocp-indent
c:/cygwin64/home/nojebar/.emacs.d/elpa/jsonrpc-1.0.15/jsonrpc hides
c:/Program Files/emacs-27.1/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/jsonrpc
c:/cygwin64/home/nojebar/.emacs.d/elpa/xref-1.4.1/xref hides
c:/Program Files/emacs-27.1/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/progmodes/xref
c:/cygwin64/home/nojebar/.emacs.d/elpa/project-0.8.1/project hides
c:/Program Files/emacs-27.1/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/progmodes/project
c:/cygwin64/home/nojebar/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-1.2.2/flymake hides
c:/Program Files/emacs-27.1/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/progmodes/flymake
c:/cygwin64/home/nojebar/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-2.23/seq hides c:/Program
Files/emacs-27.1/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq
c:/cygwin64/home/nojebar/.emacs.d/elpa/eldoc-1.12.0/eldoc hides
c:/Program Files/emacs-27.1/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/eldoc
~/scripts/install/emacs/cl-lib hides c:/Program
Files/emacs-27.1/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-lib

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils add-log log-view pcvs-util
help-fns radix-tree vc-annotate ffap grep thingatpt cl-extra help-mode
shell pcomplete smerge-mode diff vc vc-dispatcher misearch multi-isearch
merlin-xref xref project merlin-cap merlin pcase caml-types crm caml
advice rx compile derived imenu cygwin-mount ange-ftp comint ansi-color
ocamlformat ocp-indent caml-font vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode dired-x
dired dired-loaddefs saveplace edmacro kmacro winner ring savehist paren
delsel time autorevert filenotify info proof-site proof-autoloads
package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 298590 19356)
 (symbols 48 12729 1)
 (strings 32 40782 1936)
 (string-bytes 1 1406019)
 (vectors 16 22528)
 (vector-slots 8 276819 12620)
 (floats 8 104 554)
 (intervals 56 42748 0)
 (buffers 1000 42))