Subject: bug#55857: Odd Shepherd message on 'guix system reconfigure': (map (# ?) ?)

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 23:55:29 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The following message is shown when reconfiguring Guix System:
>
> shepherd: Evaluating user expression (and (defined? (quote transient?)) (map (# ?) ?)).
>
> It doesn't seem intended for end users to see; at least I have no clue
> what it's supposed to tell me :-).

The question marks are HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS not being displayed properly
because ‘guix’ is not running under a UTF-8 locale.

The message is produced by shepherd as a response to an expression that
‘guix system reconfigure’ tells it to evaluate, in (gnu services herd).
And all this happens as part of the live service upgrade mechanism.

Admittedly, this particular message is not something one cares about as
a user, but it seemed safer to print messages shepherd might send during
that operation.

Ludo’.