Subject: bug#55856: closed (Re: bug#55856: First LUKS passphrase prompt at Linux boot always fail)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 16:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#55856: First LUKS passphrase prompt at Linux boot always fail

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55856: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55856
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55856: First LUKS passphrase prompt at Linux boot always fail
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 12:12:49 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey Ludo,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Today I confirmed that without first clearing the input buffer via
>> multiple backspaces strokes, the first LUKS passphrase (I have many
>> disks) *always* fail.
>
> This is super weird (I’ve not observed that).  I don’t see how the input
> buffer could be filled with something else.  I wonder how this could be
> investigated!

Haha, this ended up being the HHKB Professional 2 USB keyword that was
hooked to my desktop.  Even when not using it, it appears that the small
USB hub that is built in the keyword sends noise to the line and causes
garbage to appear on stdin...

I should probably de-solder that near-useless thing from this otherwise
fine keyboard.

Thanks,

Closing.

Maxim

Subject: First LUKS passphrase prompt at Linux boot always fail
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 14:54:44 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

It's something I've suffered for a while already on my desktop machine,
but I always assumed I was making a typo or something.

Today I confirmed that without first clearing the input buffer via
multiple backspaces strokes, the first LUKS passphrase (I have many
disks) *always* fail.

Perhaps some boot message or other text gets erroneously redirected to
the standard input and corrupts the user input.

Thanks,

Maxim