Subject: Re: [External] : Re: bug#55853: 28.1; Please document f#(...) syntax in Elisp manual

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 20:55:27 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maybe instead of (or in addition to) a disassembly, a
> user could be pointed - a least in some cases - to the
> original source code (Lisp or C)?

Are there such cases?  The place is not always well defined.

In the cited original thread, when you see

  org-file-apps-windowsnt is a variable defined in `org.el'.

in the C-h v popup you just click on the "org.el" button and are
directly guided to the source of the byte-code function.  We can't get
much better I guess since we don't save the exact position of every
lambda expression when compiling.

If the byte-code function is named, you can click on the name that will
likely be around.  And if it has not, it's probably not trivial to find
a related place of a definition (if there is one).

So, hard to answer without a real-life example where this would actually
be a real improvement.

Michael.