Subject: 23.1.91; mark text in c++ mode is painfully slow

From: "Tomas Berggren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:48:37 +0100

I opened a file with about 3500 lines in c++ mode and started from the
top marking

the text with ctrl - space and then pressed arrow down or ctrl n to mark

about 200 lines. The cursor pause after a few lines and hangs for some

seconds with almost 100% cpu activity. This behavior did not appear in

20 and 22. I normally work in 23.1.1 but downloaded the latest beta to

see if anything had been corrected. Not sure if this depends on the

amount of code or if the support for Unicode made things slower, but

since it worked fine on 22 something else might have changed. It might
be by local setup as well.

I hope this can be of any use, this is my first bug report after using
emacs for 12 years!

Best Regards,

Tomas

[email-masked]

In GNU Emacs 23.1.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)

 of 2010-01-03 on PRETEST

Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600

configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:

  value of $LC_ALL: nil

  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil

  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil

  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil

  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil

  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil

  value of $LC_TIME: nil

  value of $LANG: SVE

  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil

  locale-coding-system: cp1252

  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: C++/l

Minor modes in effect:

  fast-lock-mode: t

  tooltip-mode: t

  mouse-wheel-mode: t

  file-name-shadow-mode: t

  global-font-lock-mode: t

  font-lock-mode: t

  global-auto-composition-mode: t

  auto-composition-mode: t

  auto-encryption-mode: t

  auto-compression-mode: t

  column-number-mode: t

  line-number-mode: t

  transient-mark-mode: t

  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

C-SPC <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 

M-x C-g <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-SPC <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down-mouse-1> 

<mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 

<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 

<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> 

C-a C-SPC <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 

<down> <down> <down> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 

<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 

<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <end> <help-echo> 

<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e SPC <backspace> 

p o SPC r SPC e SPC b u SPC <return>

Recent messages:

Making completion list...

Fontifying init.m...
(regexps.....................................................)

Loading vc-cvs...done

Mark set [2 times]

Mark activated

Quit

Mark set

Quit

Mark set [3 times]

Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:

None found.

Features:

(shadow sort mail-extr message smtpmail sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml

mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse

rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util

netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1

hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug parse-time vc-cvs help-mode view

fast-lock ps-mode derived compile comint echistory chistory electric

saveplace uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload etags ring make-mode

cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars

cc-defs regexp-opt cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit pcvs pcvs-parse

pcvs-info pcvs-defs easymenu easy-mmode pcvs-util ewoc vc vc-dispatcher

tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table

ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode

register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse

jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian

utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean

japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian

cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev

loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay

md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget

hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)