Subject: bug#5585: 23.1.91; mark text in c++ mode is painfully slow

From: "Tomas Berggren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:52:02 +0100

You are correct!

Sorry for the inconvenience but the problem seems to be within our
customization of the lisp files.

Next time I will try with emacs -Q first!

By the way, is there a planned release date for 23.2?

Best Regards,

Tomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Chong Yidong [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: den 18 februari 2010 13:32
To: Tomas Berggren
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: 23.1.91; mark text in c++ mode is painfully slow

"Tomas Berggren" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ok, not sure if this is detailed enough, please let me know otherwise.
> Unfortunately I don't know what emacs -Q meen.
>
> I start with a clean emacs and open c:/windows/notepad.exe with ctrl x
> ctrl f just to get a few thousand lines of code. The file can be saved
> as a txt-file to be sure the content is treated as text but the result
> on my machine is the same if I keep it as an executable.
>
> Then go to the top, press ctrl space to set mark, then ctrl n for new
> line and keep the n button down for 20 seconds.
>
> The result on our machines is that the marker freeze after the first
> line and the process hang for 20-30 seconds before the text is marked.

So this is nothing to do with C++ mode?

I can't reproduce this; C-n does not hang.

By `emacs -Q', I mean starting Emacs with no customizations.  If you're
on Windows, you can do this by editing command run by the Emacs
"launcher" to add a `-Q' argument.

(Please keep [email-masked] in the CC list).