Subject: AArch64 honeycomb machines aren’t building stuff

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 15:46:34 +0200

Hi!

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> guix-daemon is configured to use the default substitute URLs,
> https://ci.guix.gnu.org and https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org, which we know
> are unreachable.
>
> I’ve theoretically addressed this here:
>
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/commit/?id=99bd9dc9001d6bea7480a7ce0e0e10ff78adb787
>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/commit/?id=b0661cc7d6dd74b0aeac3b052a80a8a2fef2af9c
>
> I tried to reconfigure those boxes with ‘guix deploy’, but this is
> currently on hold because ci.guix has run out of inodes…

Time passed and I had kinda forgotten about it, but the problem remains.

I’m currently reconfiguring pankow and grunewald⁰ from berlin with ‘guix
deploy’ to include the fix above¹, but it’s gonna take a while as it’s
currently building GCC…

To do that, I had to ‘herd stop guix-daemon’ (thereby stopping
‘cuirass-remote worker’ as well) and run guix-daemon by hand with
‘--substitute-urls=http://10.0.0.1’.

While doing that with Guix 9e4632081ff31bf0d1715edd66f514614c6dc4bb, I
found another bug² (yup, it does look like an endless quest, even more
so that I’ll soon be going AFK and it’s not clear that things will be
settled by then!).

Cheers,
Ludo’, aka. el Quijote.

⁰ More on kreuzberg in a separate message…

¹ For the record, previously ‘guix deploy’ had a bug whereby running it
  from an x86_64 box like berlin would lead it to send x86_64 binaries
  (instead of AArch64 binaries) to the machines.  This was fixed in
  7046e777212233b89df68379c270b448c45195ce:
  <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55951>.

² https://issues.guix.gnu.org/57117