Subject: bug#55848: [cuirass] workers stalled

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 01:32:33 -0400

Hi Maxime,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maxim Cournoyer schreef op zo 19-06-2022 om 22:39 [-0400]:
>> There was also an attempt to cross-compile a rust/cargo bootstrap seed
>> for other architectures (branch: wip-cross-built-rust) but due to
>> complications with building rust as a static archive (it relies on
>> dynamic linking for its macro expand crates), the effort stalled.
>
> FWIW, has it been considered to cross-compile rust non-statically
> (not as a seed, just as an input cross-compiled from another system)?
> Doesn't help for people that cannot offload to x86_64 and don't have
> substitutes from ci.guix.gnu.org or such enabled, but could still be an
> improvement.

This already works, on the branch.  One of the patches carried there
that made it possible has been merged upstream too.  The issue is that
to offer a useful cross-compiled rust on non-x86_64 systems, you need to
move it from system domains; the clean way to do this is to archive a
static binary that depends on nothing else somewhere, and extract it in
a package for the target architecture.

Currently it's not cleanly self-contained because it still references
GCC libraries.

Maxim