Subject: bug#55842: 29.0.50; Using shorthand syntax in keymap-global-set

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 19:55:53 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 18:37:06 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Without thinking about this too much, my opinion is that if the new
> > APIs are to be the replacement for the obsolete ones, they had better
> > supported the same syntax, because I don't believe there's a single
> > Emacs user out there who doesn't have some key bindings in their init
> > files.  If the syntax is incompatible, how can we ever convince the
> > majority to switch?
> 
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  People that previously said
> (local-set-key "\C-\M-i" ... ) can say (keymap-local-set "C-M-i" ...)
> just fine.

My point is that (keymap-local-set "\C-\M-i" ...) signals an error,
and a weird one at that.  I hoped that we could make the APIs fully
compatible.