Subject: Re: bug#55836: 29.0.50; (iconify-frame) freezes buffer view under Wayland.

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2022 20:28:57 +0800

Tino Calancha <[email-masked]> writes:

> Both seems to fix the issue in my Wayland session.

Thanks.

I decided to take another look at this today.  What GDK does is a hack
that works for some people: after a window is iconified, it sends a
configure event containing the iconified state to the program.  Upon the
next xdg_toplevel.configure event, it assumes the window has been
deiconified.

That is wrong!  In many situations, it is valid for the compositor to
send yet another toplevel configure event.  For example, the pager
component of the compositor may want the program to resize its toplevel
before it displays a preview of said toplevel to the user.

It is also valid for the compositor to deiconify a frame without
focusing it, or changing any state at all (which would entail sending a
configure event.)

However, with something similar the second change, it seems to work for
at least half of our users, which is better than having iconification
work for nobody at all.  So would you be so kind as to check if the bug
is now fixed on master?

(It may take some time for me to push: savannah seems to be having
problems ATM.)