Subject: bug#55836: 29.0.50; (iconify-frame) freezes buffer view under Wayland.

From: 夜坂雅 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 17:57:26 +0800

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> That's to be expected.  It turns out that programmatically deiconifying
> a window isn't supported by the Wayland protocol (see here:
> https://wayland.app/protocols/xdg-shell#xdg_toplevel is missing a
> function corresponding to "SetMinimized" to disable the minimized
> state), so GDK and Emacs don't support it either.

😅

>>> But when I apply your patch, running
>>>
>>> $ emacsclient -e '(iconify-or-deiconify-frame)'
>>>
>>> and deiconify it using taskbar, the bug happens.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that.

1. Apply your said patch and build Emacs.
2. Run emacs and M-x server-start.
3. Run emacsclient -e '(iconify-or-deiconify-frame)' to iconify it.
4. Deiconify it. This window won't refresh when I try to run Emacs
tutorial from the menu bar.

> What happens if you comment out every call to `SET_FRAME_ICONIFIED' in pgtkterm.c?

The bug can still happen, which means even commenting every call to
SET_FRAME_ICONIFIED, Emacs is still unable to update frame when
iconified using C-z.