Subject: Re: bug#55833: cross-base error: wrong type argument in position 1

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 15:12:00 +0200

Josselin Poiret schreef op wo 08-06-2022 om 12:35 [+0200]:
> I don't think we should deviate from the usual behaviour of a procedure
> returning #f it wasn't able to find the thing it was searching for.
> Ideally, cross-libc should take a platform argument itself, so that we
> can lookup the target earlier and throw an exception there instead.

Wait my proposal cannot work as-is because linux-architecture=#false
for Hurd platforms ...

FWIW, I think the current usual behaviour is not ideal, and that these
kind of procedures should raise an exception instead, like
specification->package:

scheme@(guix-user)> (specification->package "foobar")
guix repl: fout: foobar: onbekend pakket ; <-- unknown package

Or search-input-file or search-input-directory.

Maybe it could raise a &non-linux-platform condition like
search-input-file raises &search-error condition?

Greetings,
Maxime.