Subject: Re: bug#55813: autogen: Use guile-3.0

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 23:13:57 +0200

Hi!

Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Some relatively simply patches make autogen build with guile-3.0. Used
> by both Debian an openSUSE, so already has a bit of field testing.
>
> I'm not 100% sure that it wasn't just dumb luck, but it seemed like
> building autogen with guile-3.0 was more likely to build reproducibly.

Nice.  :-)

> It did require adding automake and autoconf to inputs, seeming to detect
> that something changed since configure was generated. Not sure if that
> could be avoided by being cleverer, or if that is an acceptible change.

It could be avoided by changing just ‘configure’ (which this patch
already does actually), but it’s fine either way.

> From 9745d65234b70115a07d324f5514b125ad97369a Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 16:05:02 -0700
> Subject: [PATCH 3/3] gnu: autogen: Build with guile 3.0.
>
> * gnu/packages/autogen.scm (autogen)[arguments]: Add 'support-guile-3.0 phase.
>   [inputs]: Remove guile-2.2 and add automake, autoconf and guile-3.0.

[...]

> +             (substitute*
> +                 "agen5/guile-iface.h"

You can move that string to the previous line.

> +             (substitute*
> +                 (list
> +                  "configure"
> +                  "config/guile.m4")
> +               (("2.2 2.0 1.8") "3.0 2.2 2.0 1.8"))))

Here you should either modify ‘config/guile.m4’, in which case
‘autoreconf’ will have to run (that should be automatic), or modify
‘configure’, in which case the dependency on Autotools is unnecessary.

The latter is a fine solution.

OK with a change along these lines!

Thanks,
Ludo’.