Subject: bug#55811: 29.0.50; No flymake diagnostics for no-byte-compile files

From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2025 18:31:55 -0500

> As the title says, if you enable `flymake-mode` in an ELisp file with
> a `no-byte-compile: t` in its file-local variables you don't get any
> diagnostics from the compiler (you do still get diagnostics from
> checkdoc, admittedly).
>
> I think `no-byte-compile` only means that we should load the `.el` file
> and not generate a `.elc` file and it shouldn't mean that we should
> refrain from asking the byte-compiler what is its opinion about the
> quality of this code.

Greetings. It looks like this conversation didn't end up with a solution.
This is annoying enough to me that I'd like to rejuvenate the discussion.
Anyone who adds the cookie to early-init.el and init.el, for example,
misses out on flymake diagnostics.

How about adding an optional lint argument to byte-compile-file
that elisp-flymake--batch-compile-for-flymake would specify when calling
b-c-f? b-c-f, with lint specified, would ignore no-byte-compile for that
call. Looks like a three-line change. I'm sure I'm missing some subtleties?
I could submit a patch for this, if people agree.

-Stephane