Subject: Re: bug#55810: 28.1; No "really edit the buffer?" prompt when editing a changed file over Tramp

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 14:31:55 -0700

On 6/5/2022 1:25 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
> On 6/5/2022 1:04 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> I can reproduce this in Emacs 28.1, but not on the emacs-28 branch
>> (i.e., what will become Emacs 28.2).  Would it be possible for you to
>> test with that branch?
> 
> You're right, it looks like this is also fixed on the emacs-28 branch. 
> I'll try to bisect this (if only so that I write some defadvice to fix 
> it temporarily for 28.1) and report back if I find anything useful.

Ok, the commit that fixed this is 
93974198b62bea0350be503c8fc017e9d1a4542f, which is just a fixup commit 
after 009e88e002333b4090b021d24390c9137e5a2555. That commit updates 
Tramp to 2.5.3-pre, so I guess it was just a bug in the Tramp that 
shipped with 28.1.

However, I came across an interesting wrinkle. This is actually fixed in 
the GNU ELPA version of Tramp (currently 2.5.2.5). Installing this in 
Emacs 28.1 doesn't work correctly though, since v2.5.2.5 is "less" than 
the built-in Tramp version (v2.5.2.28.1). That explains why updating 
Tramp from GNU ELPA fixed the issue for me until I restarted Emacs. It 
loaded the fixed code temporarily, but then after restart, it chose the 
unfixed code because package.el thinks the built-in version is newer.

CC'ing Michael here. Maybe the easy solution is just to bump the GNU 
ELPA version of Tramp to 2.5.3 or something, and then package.el will 
recognize it as newer than what ships with 28.1.

For now, I have a workaround at least: I can just override the 
`load-path' to point to the newer Tramp version.