Subject: Re: [bug#55805] [PATCH] gnu: linux-libre: enable hidraw by default

From: Tom Fitzhenry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 15:46:02 +0200

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]>
writes:

> I agree with the content of this change, but why add it here & not to
> the kernel configuration aux-files?

My understanding of gnu/packages/linux.scm is that kernels come in two
forms:

i. "-generic" kernels, which build their .config via mainline defconfig +
  #:extra-options.
  
ii. non "-generic" kernels, which use "#:configuration-file
  kernel-config" to use the config from aux-files.

This patch solely addresses (i) kernels, since (ii) kernels already have
CONFIG_HIDRAW, as we can see by inspecting the aux-files:

$ ls gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/* | wc -l
25
$ grep CONFIG_HIDRAW=y gnu/packages/aux-files/linux-libre/* | wc -l
25