Subject: 29.0.50; Erratic behaviour with ecomplete and message-expand-name-standard-ui.

From: Knut Anders Hatlen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 11:21:09 +0200

;; Enable ecomplete with standard UI.
(setq message-mail-alias-type 'ecomplete
      message-self-insert-commands nil
      message-expand-name-standard-ui t)

;; Add two items to the ecomplete database to illustrate the problem.
(require 'ecomplete)
(setq ecomplete-database-file "/this/file/does/not/exist")
(ecomplete-add-item 'mail
                    "[email-masked]"
                    "First Second <[email-masked]>")
(ecomplete-add-item 'mail
                    "[email-masked]"
                    "First Last <[email-masked]>")

M-x compose-mail

In the To header, type "first" (without the quotes) and hit TAB
once. "first" is expanded to " <first.", as expected. Hitting TAB again,
however, just adds an extra space at the beginning, so that the
completion is "  <first.". And each time TAB is hit again, one more extra
space is added at the front. I had expected the second TAB to open a
*Completions* buffer which contained the two entries in the ecomplete
database.

If, on the other hand, the input in the To header is capitalized as
"First", hitting TAB once expands it to "First " (as expected), and
hitting TAB a second time gives an error:

completion--some: Args out of range: #("First" 0 5 (face message-header-to fontified t)), 0, 6

I had expected the second TAB to bring up the *Completions* buffer
instead of raising an error.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-06-05 built on dell
Repository revision: 6011d39b6a4bc659da364255bcae22c4e6ef3a3f
Repository branch: master
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-json --with-xml2 --with-modules
 --prefix=/usr/local/stow/emacs-master --with-pgtk --without-x
 --with-native-compilation CC=gcc-12'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: nn_NO.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 56347 8242)
 (symbols 48 5703 2)
 (strings 32 16037 1633)
 (string-bytes 1 531650)
 (vectors 16 11674)
 (vector-slots 8 268842 15675)
 (floats 8 22 25)
 (intervals 56 317 0)
 (buffers 992 12))

-- 
Knut Anders