Subject: 23.1.91; doc string of toggle-truncate-lines

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:33:16 -0800

Doc string:

"Toggle whether to fold or truncate long lines for the current buffer.
With prefix argument ARG, truncate long lines if ARG is positive,
otherwise don't truncate them...."

The first sentence is incorrect.  What it says is that the function
toggles whether to fold-or-truncate, that is, it turns
folding-or-truncating alternately on and off (whatever that might
mean).

That's not what it does.  What it does is what the doc string used
to say it does, prior to Emacs 22: it _toggles truncating_.

Do not try to say, in the same sentence, that turning off
truncating means turning on folding.  Say that separately.

What the doc string should say:

"Toggle truncating of long lines for the current buffer.
When truncating is off, long lines are folded.
With prefix argument ARG, truncate long lines if ARG is positive,
otherwise fold them...."

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'