Subject: bug#55798: font-lock-fontify-syntactically-region uses point without initializing it.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 18:46:04 +0000

Hello, Lars.

On Sun, Jun 05, 2022 at 16:23:35 +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> > * emacs/lisp/font-lock.el (font-lock-fontify-syntactically-region): At
> > line 26 of this function, appears:

> >     (setq state (parse-partial-sexp (point) end nil nil state
> >                                     'syntax-table))

> > ..  However, there is no goto-char or other way of setting point earlier
> > in the function (except in one arm of an `if' form).  Neither is point
> > defined to have a defined setting at the entry to the function.

> (syntax-ppss start) (called earlier) will skip to start, won't it?

Er, yes, it will.  Somehow I didn't know that syntax-ppss did that.
Sorry for the false bug report.  I'll close it as notabug (assuming you
haven't done this already.)

> -- 
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).