Subject: bug#55778: 29.0.50; [PATCH] M-. into a .gz; we've all been there.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 12:52:44 +0200

[email-masked] writes:

> Was https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-08/msg00340.html
>
> Some guys symlink their PATH emacs to src/emacs.
>
> Other guys still prefer `make install`, and live in constant fear of
> meta-dotting into a .gz file.  Well, live in fear no more.

Your patch is (as usual) full of totally irrelevant things, so it's not
applicable.

The idea of the feature is good, though, but can probably be implemented
as a simple file name regexp substitution in the xref machinery that
says "if we were going to jump to
/usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus.el.gz, then jump to
/usr/src/emacs/27.1/lisp/gnus/gnus.el" instead.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no