Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: quodlibet: Add dependencies for plugins to work.

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 15:22:14 +0200

Am Freitag, dem 03.06.2022 um 08:13 -0500 schrieb Wamm K. D.:
> 
> > YMMV, but it's better for inputs to be sorted alphabetically.  Use
> > line
> > comments to demarcate specific features, e.g. 
> >   keybinder-3.0 ; keybindings outside of GNOME
> >   gtksourceview ; undo, redo, multiline text fields
> >   ...
> > Don't forget the 79 character limit; when in doubt claim less
> > features.
> > If possible, try to line up the comments.
> 
> Fair; I'll get those updated, as well. Yeah, I was trying to weigh
> what to include vs. not but, due to the installation structure of
> Guix, you wouldn't be able to use these features by just installing
> the dependencies (leastwise, with just a naïve straightforward
> install, when I tried) so I figured they were worth including, from
> that perspective.
Oh, you understood me wrongly.  Do add all the inputs, but per input
you might not have enough space to describe *all* that it enables, so
if you run out of horizontal space, stick to the most useful features.

> > Also, comments like "musicbrainz plugin needs python-musicbrainz"
> > are not as informative as you'd think and can probably be dropped
> > :)
> 
> Haha; fair. While I could see repeating "musicbrainz" as being
> repetitive, I was figuring it's easy to lose track that the
> dependency was present specifically due to a plugin, for future
> developers who might work on the package, and was mostly trying to
> capture it was plugin-related. Thanks for pointing it out and I'll
> that adjusted.
IIUC much of quodlibet is actually just plugins, so future packagers
looking into it shouldn't be too confused.  Plus we aim for complete
feature sets in pretty much everything except -minimal package variants
:)

Cheers