Subject: [bug#55763] [PATCH] Upgrade nyacc to 1.07.0

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 18:17:37 +0200

Hello Felix,

Felix Lechner <[email-masked]> writes:

> Control: tags -1 + patch
>
> Hi,
>
> For my work in making PAM configurable in Guile, I rely on the foreign
> function interface (FFI). The automatic generation of that interface
> requires the compile-ffi script in nyacc. Unfortunately, the highest
> version we ship suffers from a bug that prevents the script from
> running on the pam_client.h header in linux-pam.  This patch upgrades
> nyacc to the version Matt Wette released after committing the fix.
>
> The changes are further documented in the commit message.
>
> I am new to Guix and already use the new version of linux-pam locally
> (via Guix System) but I was unable to test the patch according to the
> requirements and recommendations listed for this submission. [1]
>
> This email was sent to -devel in lieu of -mentors, which does not
> exist. Any guidance is much appreciated. Thanks for taking a look!
>
> KInd regards
> Felix Lechner
>
> [1] https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

While the contents of the patch look good, you're missing the standard
ChangeLog format for the commit message, see "(standards)Change Logs".

I would recommend something along

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
[Your message]

* gnu/packages/mes.scm (nyacc): Update to 1.07.0.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Also, I think that inline patches are preferred, even though the manual
says that MIME is fine too.  The usual advice is to just use
git-send-email to send patch series, which will take care of everything
itself (you can check out a tutorial at [1]).  You could send a v2
patch, or maybe a maintainer will add the necessary format themselves
and commit, whichever comes first :).

In any case, thanks for your contribution!

[1] https://git-send-email.io/

Best,
-- 
Josselin Poiret