Subject: [bug#55762] [PATCH] Upgrade linux-pam to 1.5.2

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 20:16:27 +0200

Felix,

Felix Lechner 写道：
> For my work in making PAM configurable in Guile, I rely on the 
> foreign
> function interface (FFI). The automatic generation of that 
> interface
> requires Pkgconfig files. Those files are not available in Guix.
> Linux-PAM started shipping them in the release after the one we 
> have.
> The attached patch upgrades linux-pam to version 1.5.2.

Thanks for working on both!

> The changes are further documented in the commit message.

And thanks for writing a clear commit message.  A few thoughts:

- The ‘gnu: foo: Update to x.y.z’ messages you see in the Guix 
  commit history are standardised.  The format's documented in the 
  GNU ‘(standards)Change Logs’ info page, but just take a stroll 
  through the history to get a feel for the majority of cases.

- Don't feel obligated to explain why you're upgrading a package, 
  although you're free to do so if you like (it was interesting 
  and I learnt something).

  Assuming no regressions, we always prefer to ship newer versions 
  of things.

- And finally, a personal windmill of mine:

> The extra argument to ./configure is needed to sidestep an issue
> upstream.[1]

  belongs in the code, where your fellow hackers can see it, not 
  buried in the commit log where $nobody will:

  ;; Work around 
  <https://github.com/linux-pam/linux-pam/issues/466>.

As you might now, this update rebuilds a good part of the world 
and will have to pass through the core-updates branch…

  $ guix refresh -l linux-pam | cut -d: -f1

> I am new to Guix and already use the new version of linux-pam 
> locally
> (via Guix System) but I was unable to test the patch according 
> to the
> requirements and recommendations listed for this submission. [1]

…so it's impressive if you rebuilt most of your entire system 
based on the new nyacc/linux-pam packages.

What still needs to be done, and which problems did you encounter?

Kind regards,

T G-R