Subject: infinite loop

From: "Daniel R. Grayson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 12:49:35 -0700

The attached file contains the string "end--" in two places.  When
searching for that string with M-x isearch-forward (C-s) in that file,
just after opening the file, starting from the top of the file, it often
happens, that after positioning the cursor at the first "end" in the file,
it displays "end-" on the mode line and then goes into an infinite loop,
not responding to further input or making any further
progress on the search.

In GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60
Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G95))
 of 2022-04-22 built on builder10-14.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.3

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER THREADS
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH:
/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/emacs/site-lisp:/Users/dan/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/dan/src/M2/M2.git/M2/Macaulay2/editors/emacs/M2-symbols hides
/Applications/Macaulay2-1.20/share/emacs/site-lisp/macaulay2/M2-symbols
/Users/dan/src/M2/M2.git/M2/Macaulay2/editors/emacs/M2 hides
/Applications/Macaulay2-1.20/share/emacs/site-lisp/macaulay2/M2
/Users/dan/src/M2/M2.git/M2/Macaulay2/editors/emacs/M2-init hides
/Applications/Macaulay2-1.20/share/emacs/site-lisp/macaulay2/M2-init
/Users/dan/src/M2/M2.git/M2/Macaulay2/editors/emacs/M2-mode hides
/Applications/Macaulay2-1.20/share/emacs/site-lisp/macaulay2/M2-mode
/Users/dan/emacs/gedcom hides /Users/dan/home/emacs/gedcom
/Users/dan/src/M2/M2.git/M2/Macaulay2/editors/emacs/M2-symbols hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/macaulay2/M2-symbols
/Users/dan/src/M2/M2.git/M2/Macaulay2/editors/emacs/M2 hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/macaulay2/M2
/Users/dan/src/M2/M2.git/M2/Macaulay2/editors/emacs/M2-init hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/macaulay2/M2-init
/Users/dan/src/M2/M2.git/M2/Macaulay2/editors/emacs/M2-mode hides
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/macaulay2/M2-mode
/Users/dan/emacs/rmail hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mail/rmail
/Users/dan/home/emacs/longlines hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete/longlines

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils thai-util
thai-word lao-util enriched facemenu view vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher
M2 M2-symbols rx jka-compr dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs misearch
multi-isearch eieio-opt cl-extra speedbar ezimage dframe find-func
shortdoc thingatpt help-fns radix-tree tabify imenu man agda2-mode pcase
derived agda2-queue agda2-abbrevs skeleton agda2-highlight agda2
annotation eri time-date pp agda-input quail help-mode edit-server
easy-mmode edmacro kmacro server generic disp-table cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs icomplete grep compile text-property-search
comint ansi-color ring autorevert filenotify image-file image-converter
cus-load info proof-site proof-autoloads package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map
url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 299140 12614)
 (symbols 48 14179 3)
 (strings 32 50438 2510)
 (string-bytes 1 1513842)
 (vectors 16 26190)
 (vector-slots 8 305278 27939)
 (floats 8 93 32)
 (intervals 56 7639 129)
 (buffers 992 27))