Subject: Re: bug#55743: 28.1.50; No directory error in comp-run-async-workers

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 05:33:16 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 22:49:37 +0300
> 
> >> and why comp-run-async-workers tries to run a process in such arbitrary invalid dirs.
> >
> > It is not comp-run-async-workers that does it, it's the low-level
> > infrastructure in subroutines of make-process: it makes sure the
> > directory in which the process will run is valid, and if it isn't
> > signals an error.
> 
> Shouldn't native compilation run in the directory where the emacs
> source files are located instead of running in the default directory
> of an arbitrary buffer that might be invalid?

No, because native compilation could be invoked to compile a file that
has nothing to do with the Emacs source tree, e.g., some file of the
user or some 3rd-party package installed in some arbitrary place.