Subject: bug#55722: closed (Re: bug#55722: Missing number superscripts in the `C-x 8 ^' map)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 13:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#55722: Missing number superscripts in the `C-x 8 ^' map

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
55722: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55722
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#55722: Missing number superscripts in the `C-x 8 ^' map
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Tor Kringeland <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 16:01:36 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Tor Kringeland <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 09:19:37 +0000
> 
> `C-x 8 ^ 1'--`C-x 8 ^ 3' are supported, but not the other seven numbers;
> this should be extended.  Maybe superscripts of + and - could also be
> included --- they are included in some other input methods in Emacs
> (e.g., `compose').
> 
> Also, it would be nice to have the same characters for subscripts (with
> `C-x 8 _').

I added those, but note that the results might look somewhat ugly if
your default font doesn't support the U+20XX codepoints, and you need
a superscript that mixes both Latin digits and the newer 20XX ones.

Subject: Missing number superscripts in the `C-x 8 ^' map
From: Tor Kringeland <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 09:19:37 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

`C-x 8 ^ 1'--`C-x 8 ^ 3' are supported, but not the other seven numbers;
this should be extended.  Maybe superscripts of + and - could also be
included --- they are included in some other input methods in Emacs
(e.g., `compose').

Also, it would be nice to have the same characters for subscripts (with
`C-x 8 _').  For other subscripts and superscripts, an input method
would be more appropriate (though general sub- and superscripts seem to
not be supported by any input method built into Emacs).  But I think
extending the `C-x 8' map to support number super- and subscripts is
reasonable.