Subject: bug#55707: bug#55488: GDM, GNOME: Can't start desktop session after upgrade

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2022 00:54:55 +0200

Hi,

Luis Felipe <[email-masked]> skribis:

> It seems nothing changed. I'm still unable to start a GNOME session, and booting time is about the same.

Indeed.

Here’s another debugging trick; would be great if you could try this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(define strace-syslogd
  (program-file "strace-syslogd"
                #~(apply execl #$(file-append strace "/bin/strace")
                         "strace"                 ;argv[0]
                         "-f" "-Tt" "-o" "/syslogd.log" "-s" "80"
                         #$(file-append inetutils "/libexec/syslogd")
                         (cdr (command-line)))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and then:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
    (modify-services %desktop-services
      (syslog-service-type
       _ => (syslog-configuration
             (syslogd strace-syslogd))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This creates a log file, /syslogd.log, which will allow us to see the
time it takes syslogd to read from /proc/kmsg and hopefully to determine
the origin of delays.

TIA!

Ludo’.