Subject: bug#55666: enhancement request - SHA-256 for emacs downloads

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 12:59:25 +0200

Ali Elshishini <[email-masked]> writes:

> May you please include a list of SHA-256 hashes for the downloads in 
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/download.html
>
> This will provide an easy and secure way to verify downloads
> Please note that the experience to verify the signature on windows is very poor
> and it for me at least ended up with the file nor being verified because of missing
> public key 
>
> A SHA-256 hash will be a simple solution

That would require people to edit that web page every time they generate
a package, which would be error prone and require too much work of the
people who build the packages.

The packages are signed, which I think should be more than sufficient,
so I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no