Subject: Re: libgccjit is unusable

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 06:26:46 +0200

Hi John,

Am Mittwoch, dem 03.08.2022 um 21:13 +0000 schrieb John Kehayias:
> I didn't dive into the details and I'm not expert here, but it gave
> me the clues to work around it. Seems that where gccjit looks for
> things has some assumptions (bugs?) which we can fix at runtime with:
> 
> LIBRARY_PATH=$GUIX_ENVIRONMENT/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-
> gnu/11.3.0:$LIBRARY_PATH ./gccjittest
> 
> The errors reported before were solved with this LIBRARY_PATH
> addition of the lib/gcc subdirectory. So, the test program runs in
> 
> guix shell gcc-toolchain@11 libgccjit@11 --pure
> 
> where I compiled to gccjittest following the tutorial directions (no
> change to LIBRARY_PATH).
while this does help insofar as I now know which snippet I forgot to
copy, I do still think that this leaves us with two unreasonable
options if we want to use emacs to compile other packages:

1. Propagate gcc-toolchain from emacs.
2. Patch LIBRARY_PATH not just before configuration, but also via a
wrapper.

At the very least I don't see how Emacs would be able to compile other
packages to native code without either of the above.

WDYT?