Subject: Re: bug#55645: src/print.c; print_object changes make it impossible to compare elisp code across versions

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 19:14:15 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > I was thinking the same. I realize that for many objects where
  > there is no guarantee of homoiconicity the prin1 representation
  > definitely changes all the time. However, I think that symbols
  > fall into a more homoiconic category (namely the category
  > of objects that can appear literally in code).

I agree.

We have no absolute rule against changing the print syntax of symbols,
but we see that it this change is likely to cause a real practical
disadvantage for some users.  We should treat that as a significant
problem, and do what it takes to spare users that practical problem.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)