Subject: Re: bug#55632: [PATCH] Add new user option project-vc-find-tracked-only

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 00:41:21 +0300

On 27.05.2022 16:55, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 25.05.2022 12:08, Jan Synáček wrote:
>> Currently, `project-find-file' always includes untracked files, which is
>> not always the desired behavior. This patch adds a new user option to
>> make only find the actual project files. By default, the variable is set
>> to nil, which means the behavior is not changed.
> 
> Sure, thanks. I'll review this soon-ish.

The patch seems functional, thanks. Should also get you better 
performance, if this is the behavior you prefer.

Regarding the naming and the docstring, though: unlike what the 
defcustom says, it will affect also 'project-find-regexp' (i.e. which 
files get searched by this command), and all other features that 
delegate to 'project-files' internally.

So the docstring could use some generalizing. And consider these two 
options for rename:

   - project-vc-tracked-only (defaulting to nil, like in the patch)
   - project-vc-include-untracked (defaulting to t)

The docstring could say something like:

   When non-nil, the VC project backend includes the untracked files.