Subject: [bug#55631] [PATCH] gnu: grub: add documentation for new grub-efi-removable-bootloader

From: Karl Hallsby <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 23:29:31 -0500

---
 doc/guix.texi | 22 +++++++++++++++++++---
 1 file changed, 19 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index 184206bec8..fdfd024a7a 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -103,6 +103,7 @@ Copyright @copyright{} 2021 Josselin Poiret@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2022 Remco van 't Veer@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2022 Aleksandr Vityazev@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2022 Philip M@sup{c}Grath@*
+Copyright @copyright{} 2022 Karl Hallsby@*

 Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
 under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or
@@ -36282,8 +36283,8 @@ The type of a bootloader configuration declaration.
 @cindex BIOS, bootloader
 The bootloader to use, as a @code{bootloader} object.  For now
 @code{grub-bootloader}, @code{grub-efi-bootloader},
-@code{grub-efi-netboot-bootloader}, @code{extlinux-bootloader} and
-@code{u-boot-bootloader} are supported.
+@code{grub-efi-netboot-bootloader}, @code{grub-efi-removable-bootloader},
+@code{extlinux-bootloader} and @code{u-boot-bootloader} are supported.

 @cindex ARM, bootloaders
 @cindex AArch64, bootloaders
@@ -36352,6 +36353,20 @@ NFS servers, you also need a properly configured DHCP server to make the booting
 over netboot possible.  For all this we can currently only recommend you to look
 for instructions about @acronym{PXE, Preboot eXecution Environment}.

+@vindex grub-efi-removable-bootloader
+@code{grub-efi-removable-bootloader} allows you to boot your system from
+removable media by writing the GRUB file to the UEFI-specification location of
+@file{/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi} of the boot directory, usually @file{/boot/efi}.
+This is also useful for some UEFI firmwares that ``forget'' their configuration
+from their non-volatile storage. Like @code{grub-efi-bootloader}, this can only
+be used if the @file{/sys/firmware/efi} directory is available.
+
+@quotation Note
+This @emph{will} overwrite the GRUB file from any other operating systems that
+also place their GRUB file in the UEFI-specification location; making them
+unbootable.
+@end quotation
+
 @item @code{targets}
 This is a list of strings denoting the targets onto which to install the
 bootloader.
@@ -36360,7 +36375,8 @@ The interpretation of targets depends on the bootloader in question.
 For @code{grub-bootloader}, for example, they should be device names
 understood by the bootloader @command{installer} command, such as
 @code{/dev/sda} or @code{(hd0)} (@pxref{Invoking grub-install,,, grub,
-GNU GRUB Manual}).  For @code{grub-efi-bootloader}, they should be mount
+GNU GRUB Manual}).  For @code{grub-efi-bootloader} and
+@code{grub-efi-removable-bootloader} they should be mount
 points of the EFI file system, usually @file{/boot/efi}.  For
 @code{grub-efi-netboot-bootloader}, @code{targets} should be the mount
 points corresponding to TFTP root directories served by your TFTP

base-commit: f47dce686a57e5eb793003e37101df63b5eb37ae
--
2.36.1