Subject: Re: bug#55625: GNOME: totem controls not accessible

From: Roman Riabenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 22:15:36 +0300

Thank you for looking into this and sorry for confusion!

I just noticed that my issue happens only under Wayland. I configured
my system with Wayland and completely forgot about it. Now, I relogined
into Xorg session from GDM greeter and there was no such problem with
totem. Still, Wayland should be supported...

The issue is: when I click or drag on the contorls in the panel in the
bottom of totem, nothing happens, as if they are a picture. When I
double click on them, totem goes full screen or is restored from full
screen respectively.

Because I realized that it is related to Wayland, I looked up totem
issues and found two similar reports:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/totem/-/issues/356
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/totem/-/issues/316
Though, I am not yet sure what the cause really is.

У сб, 2022-05-28 у 17:20 +0200, Maxime Devos пише:
> Maybe the description should state that additional formats are
> available from gst-plugins-bad may need to be installed? Though then
> bad plugins would be recommended ...

After some trial-and-error, I had installed gst-libav in my user
profile to play mp4 files. gst-plugins-bad is just one of the options.
After Debian, I am quite accustomed that totem is not playing "bad"
formats out-of-the-box, so there was no surprise here for me. The
synopsis could tell that the player is extensible and supports
additional formats through GStreamer plugins.

У сб, 2022-05-28 у 18:34 +0200, Maxime Devos пише:
>(totem:147294): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:32:42.791: Could not load a pixbuf
> from /org/gtk/libgtk/theme/Adwaita/assets/bullet-symbolic.svg.
> This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not
> be
> found.
> 
> ** (totem:147294): WARNING **: 16:32:42.897: An error occurred trying
> to open logo org.gnome.Totem: Icon 'org.gnome.Totem' not present in
> theme gnome
> 
> ^^^ icon problems
> 
> (totem:147294): Totem-WARNING **: 16:32:42.898: Failed to acquire
> screensaver proxy: Failed to execute child process ?dbus-launch? (No
> such file or directory)
> 
> ^^^ file names needing a substitute*

I do not see this when I start totem from terminal. Maybe that is
because I am using GNOME. I mean that I have the system configured with
(service gnome-desktop-service-type) and totem is installed as a system
application.

For your reference, I attach what I get from the terminal when I start
totem from terminal, play a video from the library, click and double
click on controls, then close. I see nothing relevant there. The
error.log shows something related to plugins. The stdout.log shows how
totem fails to generate thumbnails for videos. I opened a different
issue for the latter: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/55624

Roman