Subject: Re: bug#55625: GNOME: totem controls not accessible

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 17:20:50 +0200

Roman Riabenko schreef op wo 25-05-2022 om 09:03 [+0300]:
> Hello
> 
> When viewing a video in totem, totem controls in the botton are not
> accessible with the mouse. It is possible to control the playback with
> keyboard.
> 
> totem version 3.38.1
> clutter version 1.26.2 in totem's dependencies per "guix show totem"
> 
> Roman

I tried reproducing this:

$ guix shell --pure totem -- totem '/home/[...]/[...].mp4'

but for me it was even worse, it was unable to play the video at all:

** Message: 15:13:20.263: Missing plugin: gstreamer|1.0|totem|MPEG-4 AAC decoder|decoder-audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)4, level=(string)1, base-profile=(string)lc, profile=(string)lc (MPEG-4 AAC decoder)
** Message: 15:13:20.263: Missing plugin: gstreamer|1.0|totem|H.264 (Main Profile) decoder|decoder-video/x-h264, level=(string)2.2, profile=(string)main (H.264 (Main Profile) decoder)

Looks like a bug, especially since the package description says:

synopsis: Simple media player for GNOME based on GStreamer  
description: Totem is a simple yet featureful media player for GNOME
which can read a large number of file formats.

Adding gst-plugins-bad resolves this.

Maybe the description should state that additional formats are
available from gst-plugins-bad may need to be installed?  Though then
bad plugins would be recommended ...

Greetings,
Maxime.